The White House on Friday announced it was blocking applications from applicants for unemployment benefits in the US and the UK, according to news reports.US President Donald Trump said on Friday the US would stop issuing unemployment benefits to anyone who applies for them and “all other people who apply for them, whether they are green card holders, lawful permanent residents or not.”
“We will not accept applications from individuals who apply and are denied unemployment benefits because of their nationality,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders told reporters.
“We have an obligation to the American people to make sure that our unemployment benefits are available to everyone who needs them.”US President Barack Obama’s administration last month said it would stop providing unemployment benefits if the number of unemployed people exceeds the amount of available jobs.
The Trump administration has so far refused to grant a waiver to the Trump-era executive order which blocks new applications for unemployment insurance in the states of Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
The order also prevents any US employers from accepting applications from unemployed Americans.US officials said Friday they were concerned about the impact of the executive order on businesses that employ millions of Americans.
“The decision to issue an order that would restrict employment and employment applications is both a violation of the Constitution and a violation for which the President is personally responsible,” US Labor Secretary Thomas Perez said in a statement.
“This executive order should not have been issued in the first place.
We will continue to vigorously defend the constitutionality of the order and our rights as Americans.”
President Trump’s executive order has been blocked in three US states.